Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Last Meal on Earth

One of the sassy "getting to know you" questions on a person's Yelp profile page is "My Last Meal on Earth." I love this question. What in the world would I choose to eat, if I knew I was never going to eat again (on Earth, anyway) and I had no restrictions whatsoever?

On my Yelp profile, I said I'd have omakase prepared by Masaharu Morimoto. You kind of can't go wrong with that, although there are probably better sushi chefs out there. Just none whose names I know.

I know one thing - I would really, really want uni to be on the menu. Eating uni is such a visceral experience for me...the kind of food you feel all the way down to your toes if you're doing it right. Its creamy texture fills your senses with the hint of the sea and, if served as nigiri, the slight chewiness of the nori gives your teeth a little something to work on, reminding you that you are, indeed, still on earth, as opposed to ascended to some other plane. They say uni is an aphrodisiac, to which I dreamily reply, "mmm hmmmm."


IMG_2008wm.jpg

And you? What would you include in your last meal?

8 comments:

  1. I love this question, too. Today I would have to say that my last meal would have to be at the little pizza place I went to at about 3:00 in the morning in Bologna, Italy. Now that was some good pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a restaurant in Cleveland, OH that gathers up "Last meal" menus and once they get enough people interested in a similar menu they'll set it all up for a group.
    Article here: http://bit.ly/bLdOsJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing calories and the like wouldn't really matter, I'd have to go with K-Paul's fried green tomatoes, crawfish gumbo, and a Roast Beef Debris po-boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great question. How boring am I that all I would want is a giant bowl of mixed berries?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Classic home-made mac and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh that photo and description makes me shiver with delight. :)

    My last meal? Salmon and a glass of Barbera at Casanova in Carmel-by-the-Sea. One of the best meals I have ever had in my life, right before a terrifying drive down Highway 1 on the California coast. I'd have it for the memories alone, and then my taste buds would thank me on choosing wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely going to be something in NOLA, probably at Delmonico's for dinner, but without a doubt the dessert is the bread pudding at Muriel's on the Square. One peek at the recipe (on their website) will show you why!

    BUT, I don't think the food would be as important as the company. And the wine, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are several restaurants in France and Italy that come to mind but if it had to be locally accessible, I'm with you Michelle - probably sushi from Mushashino or Uchi. If it had to come from HEB, I'd probably settle for a bowl of Cap'n Crunch.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

More Foodie Is The New Forty

Proud to be a member of the AFBA!

Search Foodie Is The New Forty

Recent Posts

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP