Saturday, March 27, 2010

Achiote Seared Chickpeas with Goat Cheese

I first discovered this dish years ago while dining with a vegetarian friend at Lambert's. I thought it revolutionary; most of the chickpeas I'd eaten in the past had been in hummus form or as part of a side dish, but had never really been the star of the show. I loved the spiciness...the heartiness...the tang of the goat cheese...the mellowing note of the wilted spinach...fantastic. Now I order this every time I visit Lambert's (it's on their appetizer menu).

So when the recipe appeared in Texas Monthly, I eagerly bookmarked it for future reference.

A few weeks ago, we had a little progressive dinner with a few of our neighbors. The festivities were to begin at our house, and I was in charge of appetizers. It seemed a perfect opportunity to break this out.

And so I did. I made a double batch for ten people, and several people had seconds (and thirds) and there was still plenty left over for me to eat this for lunch several times. I served them up with some lovely mini-tortillas courtesy of the super friendly folks at Jack Allen's Kitchen (thanks, guys!).


IMG_2170.JPG

5 comments:

  1. I love that app also! And the idea of a progressive dinner with neighbors. I might have to borrow both wonderful ideas. Is the recipe available online?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jodi, thanks for reading! Yes, the recipe is linked above in the text - second paragraph.

    And I LOVED the progressive dinner with neighbors - walking from house to house enabled us to have wine with each course, and nobody worried about having to drive home afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny, I eat at Lambert's regularly and have somehow missed this dish. It looks just wonderful and I love that it's healthy for you too. I'm right there with Jodi on the idea of a progressive dinner - I might have to borrow it too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't find Achiote and subbed, chipotle. Was good, but I'd like to make it the correct way. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon, do you live in Austin? I found achiote in paste form at Central Market for less than $1. I am sure other places that carry Mexican foodstuffs would carry this, as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

More Foodie Is The New Forty

Proud to be a member of the AFBA!

Search Foodie Is The New Forty

Recent Posts

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP