Saturday, May 2, 2009

Peanut Butter Butterscotch Bars, or "Are You a Better Cook Than a Fifth Grader?"

Anyone who knows me at all probably knows that I am famous (infamous?) for being constantly on the go. But I'm well past the age where I feel totally comfortable showing up at a potluck with something store-bought (which is not to say that I don't do this, because I do - frequently). Yet, I'd much rather arrive with something homemade, even if it is something really easy to make.

This recipe falls squarely in the "easy to make" category. If the game show "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" were turned into a cooking contest, and I was pitted against a fifth grader with this recipe, I would undoubtedly lose. Hell, a kindergartner could probably make it. But it's homemade, and it tastes good, so that makes it a winner in my book.

I adapted this recipe from this one for almond butter butterscotch squares. I really thought the bars needed a more crunchy texture, and for some reason, almonds didn't feel quite right. So I changed the nut butter to peanut butter and added in some raw peanuts. Then I multiplied the recipe times 1-1/2 so I could use a 9x12 pan and make more bars in one batch.

So, here's the recipe as adapted:

* * *
1-1/2 c chunky peanut butter
1-1/2 sticks butter
1-1/2 bags (11 oz) butterscotch chips
1/2 bag raw peanuts
1 bag (11 oz) mini marshmallows

Melt butter and peanut butter in bowl in 30 second microwave bursts until melted, mixing well between bursts.

Add butterscotch chips and continue to heat in 30 second microwave bursts until melted, again, mixing well between bursts.

Add marshmallows and raw peanuts and mix in thoroughly.

Line a 9x12 baking dish with wax paper along the bottom and up the sides.

Spoon the mixture into the dish and spread evenly across the pan and into all corners.

Refrigerate for at least two hours until firm (they will hold up better if you give them overnight).

Using the wax paper, lift the whole batch of bars out of the dish and onto a cutting board. Cut into squares.

* * *
Voila.


IMG_6680.JPG

Will you win any cooking contests with these bars? Nah. Will people eat them up and come back for more? I did.

2 comments:

  1. This look great! Also I love you page. I am using the same template. I noticed you posted about "comments"... Hope you don't mind me asking...but how did you get your comments to work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belinda, thanks for the kind words! I got my comments to work by using an "embedded comment" form, which is described here:

    http://bit.ly/F9ARX

    Good luck!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

More Foodie Is The New Forty

Proud to be a member of the AFBA!

Search Foodie Is The New Forty

Recent Posts

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP