Monday, December 2, 2013

Hidden Gem: Hanabi

It's a little bit of a crime that I have yet to blog about Hanabi. It's probably the restaurant I visit most frequently; my go-to for a reasonably-priced, relaxed, but always high-quality sushi fix.

I always visit Hanabi with my friend Liz, and we always order the matsu combo: 12 pieces of nigiri and two rolls (a salmon roll and a shrimp tempura roll) for $34.95. We invariably swap out at least one of the nigiri and at least one of the rolls. Never once have they balked or complained, and I don't think they've ever upcharged us for the changes, either, though I feel sure we have many times opted for choices that were more expensive than the ones that were supposed to come with the combo.

The service is about as good as any service I've ever had in a restaurant. Unfailingly accommodating. Attentive without being intrusive. Always pleasant and kind...even when we - and I'm embarrassed to admit that we do this with some frequency - linger past closing time, solving the world's problems over a carafe of hot sake.

And the sushi has always been, over many, many visits, incredibly fresh and generously cut and just plain delicious.

Hanabi Matsu Combo
$34.95 worth of sushi. Kind of ridiculous, isn't it?

Hanabi Matsu Combo 2

Did you see those beautiful little morsels to the right of the boat? That's monkfish liver, one of my favorite things in the universe. If you haven't tried it before, I highly recommend it - it's the paté of the ocean. It's the rare sushi restaurant in Austin that carries monkfish liver, but Hanabi consistently has it in stock.

Monkfish Liver at Hanabi
Tasty, tasty monkfish liver.

One of these days, I'm going to check out Hanabi's omakase. I have it on very good authority that it is outstanding.

So if you need a fix of excellent sushi (and come on, who doesn't?), head on over to Hanabi and discover your new favorite neighborhood sushi joint.

2525 W. Anderson Lane (on the Lamar side of Northcross Mall)
Austin, TX 78757
(512) 407-9000 

17 comments:

  1. Great Write up. Never heard of this place but it is now on my list. Love the pics too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terry! Would love to hear what you think if you go!

      Delete
  2. This makes me so sad at my current lack o good sushi. Beautiful photos as usually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No good sushi in ABQ? How is that even possible? Perhaps where you're going, though...?

      Delete
    2. Well...certainly great fish. I fear the sushi is up to me.

      Delete
    3. If anyone is up to that challenge, it is you!

      Delete
  3. Great post Michelle! They are one of my favorite sushi spots in Austin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's saying a lot coming from a sushi expert like you, Amy! :)

      Delete
  4. How have I not tried this place?! I will rectify that immediately. What gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The subject matter did all the hard work here. We should go together sometime!

      Delete
  5. Wow, we're so glad you've enjoyed our service! We always look forward to seeing you guys every Thursday night^^
    -Sunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sunny! We're such fans of your great restaurant! Thank you for providing us with such a wonderful experience every time.

      Delete
  6. I discovered Hanabi last year right after they opened...I also LOVE it here. I had my birthday lunch with coworkers here this summer, and had wonderful rolls and Bento boxes...the trio of desserts was outstanding! I love that it's close enough to work for lunch, and also on my way home for Happy Hour prices. As you stated, the service is superb, the food is always fresh and delicious...it's a great chef-owned restaurant, and he's almost always behind the sushi bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously, I need to make it by here for happy hour soon! I'm so envious that you work close enough to have lunch there; alas, my office is way out south. Thanks for visiting and for the comment!

      Delete
  7. Great find! Thanks for making it known...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

More Foodie Is The New Forty

Proud to be a member of the AFBA!

Search Foodie Is The New Forty

Recent Posts

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP